This year’s Christmas knit-gift in our knitters’ support group (Year 1 was socks, Year 2 shawls) was hand-y things: mittens, gloves, fingerless mitts. I started early, late August which was practically still summer, so I had time to tackle stranded colorwork.
Good thing I did because the pattern was, sadly, not without problems. The biggest (ha) issue was that the mittens run very wide and squat. Many knitters had resorted to felting theirs afterwards (oh the horror!). Usually I would go up a needle size for colorwork but this time I went down – to toothpicks 2.0 mm needles. The chart had to trimmed down a bit, too, and when the mittens were done, I gave them a wet-blocking and a good stretch lengthwise. This helped a lot and the recipient was smitten, so, SUCCESS! :)
On Ravelry: Oh Deer!
Pattern: Oh Deer Mittens by Drunk Girl Designs
Yarn: Tukuwool Fingering, 137 m/149 yd/35 grams of #14 Ruura (main color) and 117 m/128/30 grams of #18 Anga (contrast color)
Needles: 2.0 mm
Mods: Corrugated ribbing, eliminated 2 sts of each mitten, simplified thumb instructions