Stay in the loop

Get tutorials and weekly blog posts delivered right in your email inbox.

Something in Linen


Let's travel back in time to Me Made May.



In my plans post I challenged myself to sew something in linen for my summer wardrobe. I had my eyes on the Camber Set A-lined dress from Merchant & Mills. After much hemming and hawing about the price of the pattern I realized I already had a pretty similar pattern in my stash — and one I'd already sewn it before: the Ottobre pintuck dress (5/2008).



The gray color was also out when I found a lovely aqua-colored linen in the local fabric store. Perfect cool color for the summer!


With a few modifications the pintuck dress could quite easily be turned into a much simpler, streamlined design. I loved the back yoke detail in the Camber Set dress. This was pretty similar to the front yoke of the Ottobre dress so I definitely wanted to keep that.



And while I love the photo of the long haired woman modeling the dark gray Camber Set dress, I realized an A-lined dress is not flattering on me. I have a narrow waist and wanted to accentuate that: the waist ties of the Ottobre dress where another feature that I wanted to include.



The pintucks — while cute — took so long last time I ditched them and instead did a simple gather at the front. The sleeves had elastic and a rolled hem, two techniques that also took quite a while to sew. I opted for a much simple sleeve look like the ones on the Camber Set.


I did a bit of reading on the Camber Set and found that a few people online had trouble with getting the neckline to go over their heads since there's no zipper. There was one in the Ottobre dress but the neckline is so wide it isn't really necessary.



When I originally sewed the pintuck pattern in 2016 I was already planning on making another one but simplifying the sewing process on the back piece:


If I were to make this project again, I would simplify the back and cut the hem and back yoke pieces as one.


With the removal of the zipper this cut down the number of seams on the back piece from three to none. Me likey. One final simplification was to finish the neckline with facings instead of bias tape.



I did add one feature that was not in either one of the two patterns: pockets. Because you just gotta have pockets.


My hacks turned out so great I definitely want to make another one. This time it's going to be gray and I've already got the fabric for it.


Pin this post!



#sewing #MeMadeMay #MeMadeMay2018 #dress #linen #TheCamberSet #Ottobre #pintuck #Aline #pockets #patternhacking #patternhack

135 views
on Instagram
ask Me Anything

Got a question for me? A great idea for a blog post? Or a knitting tutorial you'd love to see?

 

Type your suggestions below!

Blog Topics
Follow My Blog
  • Follow on Bloglovin'
  • Follow on Feedly
  • Follow on talvi knits on Facebook
  • Subscribe via RSS
Search
Recent Posts
 
About the author

Susanna Winter is a knitwear designer, creating timeless and elegant pieces with clean lines. She has been knitting for over 20 years, knit blogging since 2007, and designing knitting patterns professionally since 2016.

Subscribe to blog

Join my mailing list and get new blog posts automatically in your email every Friday.

  • See my patterns on Ravelry *** WARNING: This site may cause seizures.
  • See my patterns on Payhip
  • See my patterns on LoveCrafts
  • Follow @talviknits on Instagram
  • Follow talvi knits on Facebook
  • Follow talviknits on Pinterest
  • Join the talvi knits mailing list

©2007–2020 talvi knits. :: Get in touch! :: webmistress@susannawinter.net :: Privacy :: Code of Conduct